I am going to have to give these Pita Pockets a try.....maybe this weekend.
Italian Pork Pita Pockets
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges and separated
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 boneless pork loin chops, 2 oz. each
- 2 green bell peppers, each pepper cut into 8 lengthwise strips
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 8 slices and separated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 100% whole wheat pitas, cut into halves
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1 oz. slices, cut in half
- Heat oven to broil.
- Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange pork chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and fennel seed. Brush mixture on both sides of pork chops.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 6 to 10 minutes, or until pork is browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from oven and divide pork and vegetables among pita pocket breads.
- Add 1 slice of cheese to each sandwich and enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Number of Servings: 4
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 280 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21 g
Protein: 21 g