Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Sunday 3 April 2011

Easter Traditions

So I have searching the web for some ideas for a different Easter Supper menu than turkey and the fixings..... tossing a few ideas around.  If my youngest liked seafood...think I would do a seafood feast but that will have to be for another time. 

I think this year I am going to try my hand at making the Ukrainian Easter Bread. Ukrainian Easter bread or paska (which means Easter) is a slightly sweet egg bread that can be decorated with religious symbols.  Traditionally it's taken to church on Easter morning in a special basket with other foods to be blessed.  We don't belong to the Ukrainian Orthodox or Ukrainian Catholic Church, so we will be skipping that part of the tradition. 

I like to try and keep my husband's heritage alive the best I can.  I also do this with my families ethnic background - both Norwegian and English.  It is good for the kids to know about their heritage, it is something they can be proud of.

A quite peculiar national trait in Norway is solving crimes during Easter. Publishers churn out series of books known as "Easter-Thrillers" or Påskekrimmen. Even the milk cartons change to have murder stories on their sides! So maybe a muder mystry game is an idea of something to do over the Easter weekend or a good crime story movie.

Nothing saying we can't start our own traditions as well....something that our family likes to do together and maybe something we may only do at Easter time too. 

Corinne~

No comments: