Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Wednesday 11 November 2009

Remembrance Day

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Canadians are asked to pause in memory of the thousands of men and women who sacrificed their lives in military service so that we could live in Peace.

Remembrance Day is known as Veterans Day in the United States of America. The first Remembrance Day was held throughout the Commonwealth in 1919. Remembrance Day marks the armistice to end the First World War, which came into effect at 11 a.m. on Nov. 11, 1918.

My great Uncle Clarence fought in both WW I and WW II. Uncle Clarence was one of the many soldiers that returned home from the war. It is today that I take the 2 minutes of silence at the 11th hour to remember his efforts and the efforts of all the other soldiers that fought for us. So many families seen their loved off as they left for the war to never see them return home again.

I was too young to remember my Great Uncle Clarence as he passed away when I was about 3 years old. I do remember my grandfather telling me about his brother and the pride that my grandfather felt for his brother and the sacrifices that he made for his efforts in the fight for world peace. I have seen a picture or two of Uncle Clarence in his military uniform, he was a handsome soldier. I wish that I could go back in time at my age now and spend a day or two with my Uncle Clarence to get to know him and what he went through but I have the few stories that I was told by my grandfather and my father. Today I thought of my great Uncle Clarence and spent my 2 minutes of silence thanking him and the many other soldiers - those that returned home and those that sacrificed their lives for the freedom I enjoy today.

"Two minutes before the armistice went into effect, at 10:58 a.m. on Nov. 11, 1918, Pte. George Lawrence Price was felled by a bullet. Price would become the last Allied soldier — and the last of more than 66,000 Canadians — to be killed in the First World War."
to read more on this article click HERE

No comments: