Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Gardner Lake

Sunday evening as Al and I are watching a movie, my cousin calls me on her cell.....tells me to grab my camera and get to the slough and to HURRY....so I jump up, grab my camera and race off to the slough.  I am thinking something big is happening as Brenda tells me hurry, you don't want to miss this.  So I am thinking well its fairly calm so I don't think the road is going but you never know, maybe there is an large animal or two like deer, elk or moose in the water or someone is off the road in the water (that wouldn't really be a first).  Well I get there and here she is with her fiance, son and his friend in a boat on the slough, which is also known as Gardner Lake on the RM map.  So I grabbed a few photos of them out on the boat and then when they came to the roads edge, the boys and Brenda jumped out so her dad and I could go for a ride.  Here are a few picture of our boat ride around Gardner Lake. (ps: the motor wouldn't start so we had to paddle)

 Trying to get the motor started....think it flooded

Was trying for a silhouette photo

 
 Coming to shore (edge of what is left of the road)

Here you can see my uncle standing along the road edge.  You can see how the road is washing/eroding away with every day that there is any kind of wind out of the north.  The south shore is now starting to go too...there are a couple of sink holes on that shore.  With the occasional wind out of the south it has been eating away at that edge now too.

 
I took this photo from about 1/3 of the way out towards the middle of the lake.  If you click on the photo to enlarge it you can see the barricade posts to keep people from the edge of the road.

For as long as I can remember that slough has had water in it not as much as we have this year but it has always been full with the exception of a couple of really dry summers it had finally dried up, but didn't take too long to fill back up again.  I never thought I would be out in a boat on the slough, had thought it would be neat to get a canoe out on the water. 

All that was missing was the fish and our fishing rods.

 

Corinne~

No comments: