Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Saturday 26 April 2008

Saying Good Bye

Good bye is always so hard to say.....it is so permanent almost like you will never see that person again. Many people prefer to say "See you later", "So long", Bye till next time" but "Good Bye" sounds so per permanent.

On Thursday my husband was faced with saying "Good Bye" to a good friend from his childhood, Darryl. Darryl lost his battle with prostrate cancer on Monday. Unfortunately by the time we knew when the funeral would be I was in Regina for a Client Services Team Meeting for work and not able to return until Thursday evening forcing my husband to face the day by himself. I told him that all he had to do was close his eyes for a moment and imagine me beside him holding his hand and I would be there in spirit for him. All morning Thursday my mind was with my husband, wishing I was there with him to help him through the time of the funeral and burial.

I had the girls drop me off in Birch Hills where I met up with Al at Randy's place. He told him about the funeral and how he thought it wouldn't be that hard but ended up being very difficult for him. The burial was extremely difficult because it was there that he had to face that this was Good Bye. Al said that he and Ted just stood there for a few moments watching and remembering the many times they had with Darryl and how this is the same place that Al had cut his toes off when he was cutting the grass for the church and Darryl drove him to the hospital.

At the end of the day Al told me that he was glad that his sister Marie was there, but he also realized how much support he draws from me in times like this and how much I draw from him.

No comments: