Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Saturday 16 June 2007

Lets Celebrate........

So many birthday celebrations this month. Some of us are born under the sign of the Gemini and others are born under the sign of Cancer.

First is my birthday, then my uncle's birthday and then my dads. Doesn't seem like that many does it but.....it is a time to remember those whose birthdays are in June that have gone home to be with the Lord.

I remember my great Aunt Gladys - her birthday was June 1, 1903. She was an amazing lady....she made the best shortbread cookies ever....even though I use the same recipe, they aren't the same as Aunt Gladys'. She even taught me piano for a few months, I enjoyed listening to her play she made those keys sing beautifully.

June 15th, my Grandma Sharpen's birthday 1898 - I didn't know my grandma that well as she passed away when I was just 6 years old. I do remember visiting her at her house. One memory that remains with me to this day as she was the only grandma that had orange coke.....yes she fooled all us grandchildren by putting Tang in coke bottles......I thought it was so special to have a bottle of coke every time we went to grandma's house and not just one bottle but we could two or three, yes she had us fooled! My grandma made the best Lefsa around...to this day I use her recipe and I think my lefsa tastes close to grandmas' but it's still not grandmas. What is even more special is that I have her recipe in her handwriting. Grandma's favorite flower was a rose........true to someone born in June.

June 17th, my mom's birthday, she would have been 81 this year. I never got to know my mom as she died before her 40th birthday when I was 6 months old. My memories are those of others.....but instead of feeling robbed I am blessed that my mother touched so many lives in her short time on earth. I am told I possess many of her qualities.

On June 13th I always remember a childhood friend of mine - Freddie Forest. Freddie and I were the same age except for one day of the year and that was my birthday June 12th, the one day that I was actually older than him. Freddie and I were born a day apart, our families had been friends for many years. I close my eyes and still see Freddie playing in the yard at either his place or ours. Freddie died in May of 1972 a month before his 7th birthday in a car accident. I carry the memories I have of my childhood friend with me always but I always stop for a moment and wish him "Happy Birthday" on June 13th.

So for everyone celebrating in June "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

No comments: