Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Thursday 14 June 2007

Volunteering

So many of us volunteer our spare time to our kids sports, school activities, church and non profit organizations to name a few and we wonder why our lives are so busy. For many volunteering is like a calling....they want to give something back to the community, the church or to the children.

Today for lunch the 4-H groups from Spruce Home, Wildrose, & Canwood held a BBQ as a way to raise funds for an exchange trip to Ontario. It was nice to see the youth that are going to benefit from the BBQ actually there working. They were cooking, preparing and selling to the public. There were a couple parents there to help out. For these 5 youth that were volunteering their time to help raise money you could see that they genuinely wanted to be there....they were not being forced to be there....they wanted to be there. These kids deserve allot of credit for being there and volunteering. What they probably don't realize is how good these kinds of things look good on a resume.

I volunteer my time for my daughters skating club, some people ask me why......Why? because I want to be there not just for my daughters benefit but for the benefit of the club....without volunteers there wouldn't be much of a club for these kids. I volunteer to help raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society each year by participating in the Relay for Life.

I feel so rewarded by volunteering, it is a self satisfaction that I am able to help others. I just have to remember that I have to say NO sometimes as burning the candle at both ends is not a good plan. We all need some time to ourselves as well.


"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3

No comments: