Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Friday 1 June 2007

Studs & Peelers De-Barked

The Canadian Cancer Society 12 hour Relay for Life starts tonight at 7pm. The Studs & Peelers have been an active part of the relay since the beginning in 2001. In 2003 we set the total raised by a single team to a new height raising nearly $9000 and not to be out done we set the bar even higher in 2004 raising a little over $12,000. Each year we do really well in our efforts to raise money for such a worthy cause.

The Relay for Life is a celebration of survival and a tribute to the lives of loved ones who have been touched by cancer. Twelve hours of fun, friendship and fundraising to beat cancer. Communities from coast to coast, taking up the fight.

As you can see by the photo the Studs & Peelers de-barked for the occasion or did we......Only the river will know! The looks we received as mothers pushed their little ones in strollers passed, you could see one of the moms take a quick peek back.....I am certain she was checking out our 3 "Studs" probably wishing they were standing next to one of them. Cars drove by ever so slowly having to take a second look as they couldn't believe their eyes people posing naked on the river bank.........OH MY GOD! They're naked, naked I tell you.......The river bank will never be the same especially now that the Studs & Peelers de-barked for the cause.

I don't know anyone whose lives haven't been touched by cancer in some way or another. Each year our team dedicates our relay to someone. This year each of us are dedicating to someone close to us. I am dedicating my relay to my mom, she lost her battle to cancer in 1966. Each year I walk for my mom along with my best friend Cheryl who lost her battle at 16 years old to Spinal Cord Cancer, my Uncle Ralph, cousin in law Darren Smith and my mother and father in law John & Barbara Sheremata.

My mom, I never knew but my Angel she is, watching over me, I love you. Cheryl my best friend, I miss you more than some will ever know. I think of you often and remember how we used to sit and talk about boys...oh those were good days. It is hard to believe that it has been 25 years since you left us to be with the LORD. Uncle Ralph, I love you, miss you and know that you are with us in spirit. Darren now you can soar with the eagles as you did once when you flew your plane. Barbara, I never had the pleasure to meet you, but through your son I feel I know you so well. John, I miss our tea time each evening when you told me stories of your life, growing up and being a husband and father, some good and some bad but never the less we shared some good times together over a pot of "Earl Grey Tea".

This year I also remember a dear friend & co-worker Sharon Clark, who lost her battle last year in the early hours of the Saturday morning of the relay (June 4, 2006). Sharon was an inspiration to me as well as to many others. I learned from Sharon to never give up no matter what you face. Sharon also taught me to live life now and not wait for something to happen. Sharon's motto was I have far to many people to love and even more to torment to give up living. I am going to do everything I can to beat this. Sharon I miss you and admire you greatly. You will be in my heart and in my thoughts tonight as I walk around and around and around the track each step closer to a cure.

Lets make Cancer History!

No comments: