Page Translation

Christmas Countdown Widget

Sunday 17 June 2007

What do you want to be when you grow up......

A question so often asked of children from the time they are little until after they have graduated from high school. For some children the answer is always the same and for some they just don't know. Really how can someone make the choice when they enter high school what they are going to do with the rest of their lives, when their lives are just starting. I can remember for years I was going to be a Pharmacist, after a while I realized that I really didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up.

My kids don't know what they want to do with their lives. My son Michael knows he doesn't want to cook for a living, yet a couple of years ago that is what he was considering for a career goal. My daughter Brittany doesn't know what she wants to except to graduate from high school and try and figure out where to go from there. My youngest daughter Meagan, yes she wants to go to University but no idea what for. When you ask her what she wants do with her life, she responds with I just want to skate thats all.

I didn't go back to school until after my children were in school. Now I work in an office and I love my job. For the past 8 years I have been an Administrative Assistant and now until the end of September I working with Human Resources as an Employee Administrator. The past couple of years I have been tossing around the idea of returning to school via Satellite classes to take some course in Human Resources. Now working with HR, I hope to get a better understanding and help me decide if I want to venture back to school.

Ultimately what I would really like to do when I grow up is be a Photographer. Not a photographer that works in a studio all the time taking portraits, more of a Photo Journalist. I am 42 and still don't really know what I want to be. I do know that I like what I am doing. I am thinking that I will take up photography when I retire.

We are never to old to decide what we want to do in our lives....we have our entire life to make these choices. Sometimes we have to try things to know if that is what we want to do or not.

No comments: